Forums

Latinas and Eating Disorders (156)

Comments Options
Sort comments by:

LaChilenaBella
LaChilenaBella

Female, 40, Milwaukee, WI

Posted February 15, 2007

I am not one to judge anyone on any problems that he/she may have. Anorexia/bulemia, body dismorphic disorder and addictions (whatever they may be) are all legitimate illnesses. However, the image of what mainstream considers "beautiful" has evolved into something that is near impossible as well as dangerous to attain. In certain eras, if you look at paintings of women, they were thick and had soft bodies. This was not only a sign of wealth but of beauty. Stretch marks and wide hips were considered an asset because it meant that women were fertile and bore children. I will be the first to admit....I am bothered when I see a few extra pounds on me. I guess that we just all have to try our best to accept ourselves and believe that our men/partners love us for who and what we are. But, if we can't, and losing a few pounds or tweaking a few things make us feel better, then I see nothing wrong with it.....as long as it is in moderation.

atl-n-tica
atl-n-tica

Female, 30, Atlanta, GA

Posted February 19, 2007

pr_magic7
pr_magic7

Female, Age Private, Lawrence, MA

Obesity is a aproblem in the USA and the Hispanic community, most of us come from places wherevwe excercize through out the year. living in the Northeast region with the cold and weather I am not that interested in going out and being active. I am older and I am feeling the weight on my knees and I know that I have to maintain my health and or improve it.
I became overweight after my daughters ' birth and I am hoping to lose at least 45 lbs.

I just wish GOYA made diet foods

I just have to say that i agree with pr_magic, the weather makes it so much easier to not want to get physically active, which is important not to look good but to be healthy.
Not only is the weather a matter but as we all know, living in th USA you have to be constantly work, I gained 10 pounds when i got a second job. I barely have time to work out anymore but when i have free time the last thing that runs through my mind is going to the gym or go out for a jog...I think most of us have routinay lives and if working out out is not part of your routine is really hard to incorporate it into your schedule

buddahsexy
buddahsexy

Male, 46, Schenectady, NY

Posted February 22, 2007

atl-n-tica
atl-n-tica

Female, 30, Atlanta, GA

I just have to say that i agree with pr_magic, the weather makes it so much easier to not want to get physically active, which is important not to look good but to be healthy.
Not only is the weather a matter but as we all know, living in th USA you have to be constantly work, I gained 10 pounds when i got a second job. I barely have time to work out anymore but when i have free time the last thing that runs through my mind is going to the gym or go out for a jog...I think most of us have routinay lives and if working out out is not part of your routine is really hard to incorporate it into your schedule

While many use the weather as an excuse as to why they don't incorporate excersice in their schedule, others use that their cat or dog died and they just can't go on. Do you see the metaphor? an excuse is an excuse. The way to comming to terms with yourself and you diet or excersice plan is to be straight up with yourself. Forget about what media puts out their for latino or latinas to follow or for that matter women in general.

Should you choose to implement an excersice plan in your daily plan, Good for you. If you don't, again, good for you. What people should be more concerned about is their health not their figure. Because truth be told, it's the stress that you impose on yourself about weight loss or gain, that will kill you. Whatever the choice is that you make, be content with it and do it because :
1. you want to improve your health
2. you want to look and maintain healthy
3. and most importantly your doing it to make yourself happy not anybody else.

Be good to your self, because only you truly can.

Removed

The content you are trying to view has been removed.

MEJORJUNTOS
MEJORJUNTOS

Male, 62, Spain

Posted February 25, 2007

Hola, yo esperaba que este sitio tuviese algo en español, pero no lo encuentro, me enviaron un link para anotarme y lo hice con bastante dificultad, pues no entiendo nada de inglés, mi correo es; felizcontento, de gmail punto com, y si alguien me puede ayudar, le agradecería la amabilidad, saludos, José

MEJORJUNTOS
MEJORJUNTOS

Male, 62, Spain

Posted February 25, 2007

yo pienso de forma parecida, la delgadez es poco linda, y las mujeres deben de lucir sus curvas, eso las hace muy hermosas

AdoboGoya
AdoboGoya

Male, 38, Wharton, NJ

Posted March 01, 2007

Las mujeres que me criarion todas tenian curvas, ninguna era flaca como "Hollywood" nos dicta. Gracias a eso, es lo que busco en una mujer. Curvas y un poquito "extra". Afortunadamente todavia existen las mujeres que saben lo que en verdad es belleza y no se dejan llevar por las influencias de la television y la media.

Pal carajo con las flacas y las que no tienen curvas. Mandenme las que tienen curvas que mi mama me dio frenos "Anti-Lock" .. =D

snoopy21
snoopy21

Female, 42, Chicago, IL

Posted March 04, 2007

simple... lack of discipline to eat correctly and exercise.... it does not take a bunch of studies to figure out that we have come to a day in our society where people just want to take the easy way out .. so, they barf themselves to death instead of getting their behinds into a gym... and cutting down in the sodas, etc... eath healthy foods...

it has been shown that people in the past were never as big as they are today...even in spanish cultures, where women are curvier by nature... processed foods, etc... people eating out like crazy... the price of capitalism and materialism and trying to live in a fast paced society... just my guess...

Bodiquachica
Bodiquachica

Female, 32, Baltimore, MD

Posted March 05, 2007

Love_Lolita05
Love_Lolita05

Female, 40, Brooklyn, NY

While our nation struggles with obesity, there are millions of people who struggle with eating disorders daily. What do you think? Is our community as at risk as others? Have our famous faces given into celebrity pressure to be thin? (Jennifer Lopez, Rosario, America Ferrera, etc.) Sound off MG.....

ok... i have one thing to say.... Have you seen j-lo's ASS!!!! where's the pressure to be thin from her when her culo is bigger than texas!!!!!!! I think if you are happy, and your fat... (like me :)~ ) then hey more power to you!!!! but if you're 110 lbs soaking wet with a brick in your pocket.... i think you need to gain weight!!!!! and there's no pressure at all for me to be thin..... i mean there is, but i don't give a f**k i ignore and go about my business and i just do me.... i'm perfectly content not being a supermodel.... Would I like to lose a little??? Well yea... but not for society... for my health!!!! and i also feel that if you are too thin, you should gain some weight... FOR YOUR HEALTH. F*ck what people say, EVERYONE is beautiful in their own way! Even if you don't think i'm attractive, some one else will!!! I've seen one of my friends, (who i'm very close with and I love her dearly! But she is fatter than me and is "ugly" so says society), get with this guy I thought could be a supermodel!!!! So to each his own, and just be happy with who you are and LOVE YOURSELF!!!! The Key to life and happiness realy is You must first love yourself before anyone else can truely love you!! i've believed this for years.... I was told this by my spanish teacher Ms. Mason when i was in 8th grade. She told me life is too short to worry about who loves you.... as long as you love you, you've got all you need... and if you don't love you, than no one else ever can.....

EcuaNYQ
EcuaNYQ

Male, 33, Richmond Hill, NY

Posted March 07, 2007

Having known a very good friend who went through Anorexia/Bulemia I just want to say that the image portrayed as "beautiful" by mainstream media plays such a big factor when it comes to the development of these disorders. I have no numbers but I would assume that for Latina women, it is less common to develop an eating disorder due to the fact that latina women are known for their shape and curves. It does not go to say that it's not a threat to latinas though because there are a lot of Latinas who are raised in areas where there are little to no Latin influence and in the process they practically assimilate to other cultures. Alot of them don't see people like JLO as what they want themselves to look like. I've known a lot of latinas that developed these disorders in order to look like famous white girls like nicole richie.

But it really is society that is to blame for instilling the image of what "beautiful" has to be on these people. That is why I HATE the modeling industry in general, there are just way too many sickly looking professional models that look unnaturally thin and the worst part is that in the modeling industry this is actually praised and highly sought after. It's just sickening to watch shows where a girl is crazy thin yet she is told she is too fat and must lose weight if she wants to be a model and actually be successful at it.

But yeah I just wanted to add my 2c.

Showing 11-20 of 156