Forums

Latinas and Eating Disorders (156)

Comments Options
Sort comments by:

Love_Lolita05
Love_Lolita05

Female, 39, Brooklyn, NY

Posted January 26, 2007

While our nation struggles with obesity, there are millions of people who struggle with eating disorders daily. What do you think? Is our community as at risk as others? Have our famous faces given into celebrity pressure to be thin? (Jennifer Lopez, Rosario, America Ferrera, etc.) Sound off MG.....

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Female, 39, Medford, MA

Posted January 29, 2007

I don?t see this as being a huge problem w/ minorities. And I tihkn that?s wonderful. I see how some parents can influence their kids to diet and too young an age, never reminding them that balance is key. I think it was us minorities who made larger features acceptable. When I was in high school, all the Americanas had flat butt and no hips.. Or so they looked. It seems w/ the introduction of Jennifer Lopez and Salma ?kick azz body? Hayek, it made curves fashionable.

Love_Lolita05
Love_Lolita05

Female, 39, Brooklyn, NY

Posted January 29, 2007

has no one else noticed the amount of weight and aesthetic changes that nuestra mujeres go through when they get to hollywood? look at jenny lo from 15 years ago when she was on in living color and how she looks now. there's no hiding the booty (she's boricua after all) but she's considerably skinnier, tanner, light hair, the whole 9.

and saying it's not a "problem" is inaccurate. there are no stats on who's battling the issue or not. i easily knew a dozen latinas throughout my life who have combatted disordered eating at some point in their lives. it may not be the extreme cases that societal portraits paint, but it's still disordered eating. whether you're obsessively dieting, counting calories, depriving yourself of food, or smoking to supress your appetite. the problem still exists.

just my $2.50 on the issue.....

pr_magic7
pr_magic7

Female, Age Private, Lawrence, MA

Posted January 30, 2007

Obesity is a aproblem in the USA and the Hispanic community, most of us come from places wherevwe excercize through out the year. living in the Northeast region with the cold and weather I am not that interested in going out and being active. I am older and I am feeling the weight on my knees and I know that I have to maintain my health and or improve it.
I became overweight after my daughters ' birth and I am hoping to lose at least 45 lbs.

I just wish GOYA made diet foods

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Female, 39, Medford, MA

Posted January 30, 2007

Love_Lolita05
Love_Lolita05

Female, 39, Brooklyn, NY

has no one else noticed the amount of weight and aesthetic changes that nuestra mujeres go through when they get to hollywood? look at jenny lo from 15 years ago when she was on in living color and how she looks now. there's no hiding the booty (she's boricua after all) but she's considerably skinnier, tanner, light hair, the whole 9.

and saying it's not a "problem" is inaccurate. there are no stats on who's battling the issue or not. i easily knew a dozen latinas throughout my life who have combatted disordered eating at some point in their lives. it may not be the extreme cases that societal portraits paint, but it's still disordered eating. whether you're obsessively dieting, counting calories, depriving yourself of food, or smoking to supress your appetite. the problem still exists.

just my $2.50 on the issue.....

I don't think you can necessarily say counting calories as "disordered" eating. I think it's actually healthy to count your calories, watch what you eat, depriving yourself of certain treats.. etc..

Without these things, we go to other extreme of eating disorders and end up having a nation full of extremely obese people. I see nothign wrong w/ counting your calories, saying no to that cheesecake, and dieting.

Love_Lolita05
Love_Lolita05

Female, 39, Brooklyn, NY

Posted January 30, 2007

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Female, 39, Medford, MA

I don't think you can necessarily say counting calories as "disordered" eating. I think it's actually healthy to count your calories, watch what you eat, depriving yourself of certain treats.. etc..

Without these things, we go to other extreme of eating disorders and end up having a nation full of extremely obese people. I see nothign wrong w/ counting your calories, saying no to that cheesecake, and dieting.

Dieting and counting calories becomes disordered eating when it becomes an obsessive focus in your life. And "depriving" yourself of anything, is never a good thing. Things like carbs, fats, sugar, those are all things your body needs to some degree to function. It's when it exists in excess that it becomes problematic. In fact, if people paid attention to their bodies and natural cravings you'd notice that your eating patterns/habits would change. Your body usually craves what it needs, it's people's emotional attachment to food, boredom and inertia, that creates obesity. In my opinion, folks should be checking their labels for nutrients, unnatural ingredients and processed fats, rather than for number of calories.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Female, 39, Medford, MA

Posted January 30, 2007

agreed but you're making it seem like counting calories is obsessive.

There is no such thing as natural craveness.. If so, I'd be eating toasted bread with butter or steak n cheeses day in and day out. No one craves "what they need". I've never heard anyone, pregnant or not, craving a carrot stick. LOL

There is absolutely nothing wrong w/ checkign labels for calories. We all know that the way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. How many times have I NOT eaten something because it has way more caloreis than necessary.

More than half the time, eating disorders have NOTHING to do with weight and wantign to be skinny but rather, it's instigated and continued because of other factors in ones life. True, we're becoming more conscious of what we're eating but it's not a bad thing..More people need to be concenred with food.. Look at what happens when people stop caring. Americans become the fattest people in the world.

Josieland
Josieland

Female, Age Private, Brooklyn, NY

Posted January 30, 2007

pr_magic7
pr_magic7

Female, Age Private, Lawrence, MA

Obesity is a aproblem in the USA and the Hispanic community, most of us come from places wherevwe excercize through out the year. living in the Northeast region with the cold and weather I am not that interested in going out and being active. I am older and I am feeling the weight on my knees and I know that I have to maintain my health and or improve it.
I became overweight after my daughters ' birth and I am hoping to lose at least 45 lbs.

I just wish GOYA made diet foods

That's an enterpenirial undertaking. Someone with a background in nutricion and latin cusine can certain make diet latin foods and make a business bonanza. As latins we do tend to support each other.

buddahsexy
buddahsexy

Male, 46, Schenectady, NY

Posted February 08, 2007

The disorder doesn't come from counting calories or what the media projects for our women to follow. Eating disorders whether it's anorexia or Bolimia (Binging), comes from a psychological inbalance. The individual becomes obsessive with the weight loss because he/she continues to see themselves as Fat or Obese,even though they may be weighing 75-80 Ilbs. It becomes Compulsive when the individual continuously perfoms the same behaviors to continue the weight loss (extreme dieting, binging, diet pills etc.)

I can't speak for anybody else but I know even now as adults me and my brother or sister go to my abuelas house and she is like " Ustedes estan muy flako, que pasa, no estan comiendo" and the three of us are very healthy and my sister is very vuloptuous, and my wuela is comming out of the kitchen with huge plates of Pollo guisado con arroz y abichuelaz.

Yes, Counting calories is very resourceful when dieting or just to maintain a healthy diet, but for all you beutiful full figured women out there, if you dont have any health problems related to your weight, gosar la vida, and have a plate of rice and beans con chuletas on me. Much love

A Proud Puerto Rican who loves Proud Latinas

Fancy_Face1
Fancy_Face1

Female, Age Private, Pasadena, CA

Posted February 12, 2007

Love_Lolita05
Love_Lolita05

Female, 39, Brooklyn, NY

While our nation struggles with obesity, there are millions of people who struggle with eating disorders daily. What do you think? Is our community as at risk as others? Have our famous faces given into celebrity pressure to be thin? (Jennifer Lopez, Rosario, America Ferrera, etc.) Sound off MG.....

Way before Jennifer Lopez, Rosario or America Ferrera etc. came along our nation and Latinos have always struggled with a food/body image problem. Caucasians have never accepted 'thick/curvy' women as sexy and beautiful and they probably never will. But 'minorities which include not only Latinos but Blacks also are dealing with a surge of obesity not only in adults but in children also. There is no excuse for a teenager to weigh as much as a baby hippo. And there is no way in hell for an adult female to weigh over 200 lbs unless she is 7ft tall or pregnant with triplets. I don't understand it. And no I don't think being morbidly obese is beautiful or anything to be proud of. I think Big Pun and Fat Joe also give people a bad example by trying to say that it's okay to be enormous. Big Pun would probably still be alive had he kept his health in perspective. I understand that he lost some weight before he passed but his family and everyone who loved him suffered such a huge loss. Sometimes we don't realize how serious being overweight is until it's too late. Women have it harder than men as to be expected. But as far as Jennifer Lopez, she is no longer a shadow of the person she was when she first started out.
But in conclusion, we need to change the way we eat if we want to live to see our children grow. We need to eat to live not live to eat.

Showing 1-10 of 156

1 2 3 4 5

... 16

Next >>