Forums

OPRAH (6)

Comments Options
Sort comments by:

SenoraZ
SenoraZ

Female, Age Private, Amityville, NY

Posted April 27, 2007

She does fantastic things for her people. I don't see anyone else do as much for her people as she does. She puts her money where her mouth is.In fact I don't see anyone do as much as she does to make this place a better world.

SenoraZ
SenoraZ

Posted May 30, 2007

So many African-Americans on this website, and no one has an opinion on this exceptional woman? (Very weird.)

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Male, Age Private, Lexington, KY

Posted January 19, 2008

SenoraZ: So many African-Americans on this website, and no one has an opinion on this exceptional woman? (Very weird.)

Jordan: First of all, what makes you think that "all the African Americans on this website"...have read your forum?!

Consider this:

Instead of giving brand new cars, appliances, etc. to members of her middle upper and upper class audiences, just think how many people without transportation she could have helped if she had instead given "good used cars" and paid for a year's insurance on them?!

She probably could have helped at least 20 times as many.
Those wealthy people don't need any help.

Oprah's show has lost its connection with most of the Black community.
Although people claim she is powerful, she cannot do shows about racism, sexism, etc., on a regular basis without risking the loss of her upper-class white audiences.

SenoraZ
SenoraZ

Posted February 22, 2008

How can you say she⿿s lost her connection with the black community, where⿿ve you been?

Let me tell you what she did: She played the ⿿game⿝ (playing up to the whites in power) until she was rich and powerful enough herself to do for the AAs. Not only is she trying to get Barack Obama elected (not that he needs her help) but almost every other show of hers has to do with black issues, enterprises, entertainers, professionals and wealthy AA⿿s who need an ⿿extreme makeover⿝ or whatever. Even the commercials between her segments feature black advertising. so what the hell are you talking about?

And the cars, appliances she gives away do NOT come out of her pocket! ABC foots the bills. AND, I⿿m sure they don⿿t say the AAs in the audience are not allowed to get any cars, etc. (But your idea of good used cars-with insurance is a good one. Why don⿿t you go on oprah.com and suggest it? I bet they⿿d really consider it!)

And she HAS done shows about race and sexism. But really, in the grand scheme of things, it is an ⿿entertainment⿝ show and it can⿿t always be a downer like Jerry Springer, etc.

Finally, if any ⿿group⿝ should be pissed off at Oprah, it⿿s the Latino community; a group she conveniently forgets helped influence her paycheck! So, if I bring her up, it⿿s because I can⿿t fault her on what she has done, and IS doing for her people.

Oh, as for my assuming any AAs would read my posts? Trust me, you do⿦⿦..

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Female, 39, Savannah, GA

Posted February 22, 2008

Actually she hasn't done that much for "African Americans". I think she does a great deal for American women in general. Most of her effort money and time goes into Africa, the continent and people, but not "African Americans".

I like her show. It goes far beyond that of race and ultimately feeds the spirit. My favorite is the book club and her show about the secret. Never has something touched my life as much. Moving forward is what we all have the power to do but most feel powerless to do it.